Smoothies are the best thing ever invented for people on the go. You can get all the fruits and veggies in just one cupful and start your day energized without spending 45 minutes making a healthy breakfast. Unfortunately, most fruit smoothies are high in sugar but very low in protein which is the most important nutrient in the body. Not only does protein help to maintain your muscles, bones and skin, it also helps to stay full for longer so you don’t need to run to the snack bar at 10am.
If you are a fan of protein powder, it is the simplest way to add some protein in your smoothie. However, not many people like the taste of protein powder so here are some great alternatives;
- Nuts and nut butter. You can choose peanut or almonds because they are both full of proteins and healthy fats necessary for
your skin. Alternatively, you can go for the nut butter which is already smoothened and very full of flavor and nutrients.
- Seeds. Seeds are another great source of protein and fat. Flax seeds specifically contain a lot of protein and also omega 3. hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds are also very popular in smoothies
- Milk and yoghurt. Dairy is the leading source of protein especially if you want to make a drink. You can add plain Greek yoghurt
to the smoothie or use plain milk as an alternative to water or juice. Soy milk or almond milk will also work fine and they will add richness to your smoothies.
- Spirulina. This is a sea vegetable which is a nutrient power house when it’s in dried powder form. If you add 1 or 2 tablespoons of the spirulina powder to your smoothie, you will enjoy 8 grams of protein in form of amino acids.
- Chickpeas. Chickpeas are a great source of protein and they are very mild in taste. Half a cup of chickpeas will fortify
your smoothie with a lot of nutrients and also give it that creamy texture. This is the way to ensure you don’t get hungry all morning because they are also full of fiber.
- Cottage cheese. As a by-product of milk, cottage cheese is loaded with proteins and it’s one of the best ways to enrich your smoothie.
Even if you generally don’t like cheese, blending it together with sweet fruits and vegetables will neutralize its flavor and give you that creamy and rich texture.
- Silken Tofu. If you are lactose intolerant or just don’t like dairy products, one of the best protein sources for you would be tofu. It is a complete source of proteins as it contains all nine essential amino acids required by the body. Tofu will not only make your smoothie richer
and more delicious but it’s also a great way to strengthen bones and alleviate menopausal symptoms.
- Ricotta. Ricotta is another protein power house that will also make your smoothie creamier and tastier. It’s a great source of vitamin D just like milk and it will help you stay fuller for longer.
Adding some protein in your smoothie is one of the best ways to ensure you get your required daily intake. It will also improve your health drastically as proteins play a huge role in every single organ in your body.